Kandes Carter No Comments

A Waldorf man received a three-year sentence to the Department of Corrections for an April incident in which he was pulled over by a trooper with more than an ounce of marijuana and a loaded handgun in his vehicle.

Deandra Sherman Bush, 20, was indicted on charges of possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, distribution of controlled dangerous substances with a firearm, possession of a firearm during a drug trafficking crime, possession of marijuana, possession of a firearm as a minor, possession of a firearm with a felony conviction, illegal possession of ammunition, possession of a handgun in a vehicle and having a learner’s permit driving without required supervision, according to online court records.

Tfc. Thomas Davis of the Maryland State Police Prince Frederick barrack stopped a Buick La Sabre passenger vehicle April 30 in the area of northbound Route 2/4 and Governor Run Road in Port Republic for traffic violations, previous reports state. As Davis approached the vehicle and made contact with Bush, he smelled the odor of burnt marijuana emitting from the vehicle.

 Davis reported that Bush seemed nervous, as his hands were shaky and he choked when he talked, according to the reports. Although he only had a learner’s permit, Bush was the sole occupant of the vehicle.

A probable cause search was conducted, resulting in the discovery of a book bag containing 34.8 grams of packaged marijuana, a digital scale and a loaded Glock 19, 9-millimeter handgun. All the items, including Bush’s cellphone, were confiscated as evidence, the reports detail. Bush was read his Miranda rights and waived the rights to provide a statement. He said he sells a little marijuana to make money, but smokes more than he sells. Bush was subsequently transported to the detention center.

This incident violated Bush’s probation on a 2015 Charles County case where he assaulted a fellow student at Thomas Stone High School, breaking the teen’s jaw. Bush served 114 days of this three-year sentence and was placed on five years of probation, online court records show.

Bush entered a guilty plea to possession of a firearm after a disqualifying crime and possession with intent to distribute marijuana on Oct. 23, and Circuit Judge Mark Chandlee subsequently revoked his bond.

On Monday, Bush received five years with all but two years suspended for the firearm violation and a consecutive three years with all but a year and one day suspended for the distribution charge, totaling a three-year and one-day sentence to the Department of Corrections. Bush’s sentence commenced from Oct. 26, and he will be on five years of supervised probation upon his release. The firearm was forfeited as part of the plea.

Originally posted on Maryland Indpendent: